Thread: Oil question
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2014, 01:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
mishuko
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '12 Z
mishuko has a reputation beyond reputemishuko has a reputation beyond reputemishuko has a reputation beyond reputemishuko has a reputation beyond reputemishuko has a reputation beyond reputemishuko has a reputation beyond reputemishuko has a reputation beyond reputemishuko has a reputation beyond reputemishuko has a reputation beyond reputemishuko has a reputation beyond reputemishuko has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Read your owners Manual especially the non-us table regarding oil weights that are supported.

You will then realize the nonsense that is the US recommendation.

- b
I'm in Canada... I was sifting through the pages and didn't find anything which section should I check? I did the back section and then how to change oil section and couldn't find anything other than 5w30 or any table with 'non-us tables'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthArk370Z View Post
I wouldn't worry about it too much in a DD. It'll be a little thicker than Nissan suggests but shouldn't be a big deal. Personally, I'd drain it and go back to 5W30, just for a little peace of mind.
It's not even a DD it's a spirited driving machine of fun for the evening/weekends... okay maybe an occasional DD but mostly for the road trips and cruising

It's not like I sit at 6krpm in first for an hour just because lol....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
I used 0w-40 in my Z for almost 3 years. My 09 was burning a qrt of oil every 3k miles. After I made the switch to 0W-40, I would burn maybe 1/4qrt every 3k miles and oil temps were a bit lower as well. You'll be fine. Just switch back to 5w-30 if you want on your next oil change.
I did notice I burned about a quart over 7000km but it's parked now for the winter... just doing some pondering for spring. I appreciate your insight on experience with your oil use though.

I think I'll go with the general consensus and switch back to 5w30 but I'm also tempted to try this weight oil to see if I notice any difference or not. Atleast I have around 5 months to ponder