View Single Post
Old 11-02-2014, 05:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
MacCool
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z PW 2014
MacCool has a spectacular aura aboutMacCool has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakygoat View Post
Thanks MacCool,

You said don't start with while it's hibernating? Since the garage is connected to my house am I better off walking out and starting it once every 3 weeks and letting her run or just put a tender on it and not start it the entire winter? I have seen threads that argue for both.

Edit: It probably won't come out of the garage till April, winters here are.....well they are awful. That being said maybe I should put some stabilizer in it if it's going to be in the garage for 5 months?
Stabilizer, plus or minus. Probably no harm in putting some SeaFoam or StaBil in.

Proponents of starting it base that on trying to get the oil pumped around the engine every few weeks. Modern oils have enough film strength that that's unnecessary. In fact, probably does more harm that good since the heating /cooling from starting will just promote condensation. You'd have to run it for awhile at temp to boil off any water. It's pointless.

Condensation occurs when the temperature falls below the dew point (think dew on the grass, which turns to frost if it gets cold enough), so if your garage is heated, condensation isn't much of an issue as long as the garage temp remains constantly higher than the dew point. A full tank is still a smart idea.

Last edited by MacCool; 11-02-2014 at 08:07 AM.
MacCool is offline   Reply With Quote