View Single Post
Old 10-01-2014, 09:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
clintfocus
Track Member

Drives: 370z, EK Civic, F150
clintfocus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceThe1 View Post
So you run a staggered offset, with same width wheel, and square tire setup? Interesting, however the only reason I can see to run a square tire setup is for cost, so you can buy sets of four and rotate them as you like, and you can have spares to put wherever needed. However, for that it'll be nice to have the same size wheels as well so you can mix and match quickly and easily.

As you know, nearly all RWD sports sedans, coupes, and sports cars in general have a staggered setup from the factory. This is because the front wheels have to turn so they cannot be as large unless the suspension is really made for it...and in general is not needed for a front tire to be that wide.
my offsets are staggered to fit the shape of the body, my offsets dont allow me to rotate front to back, even though it would be nice and i could do so if i got Enkei NT03s which come in 18x10.5 et30 and just spacer the rear.

Running square setup though needs to have a chassis tune to match, which is what i have done with my setup. yeah most front engine, rwd cars have stagger from theh factory, but like i said i dont feel its because its optimal, i feel its to make the car have a understeer bias for a safer at the limit behavior for the common driver. Most of the Front engine RWD cars on track setup around square sizes (S2ks, Miatas, Z's, mustangs, etc) as to give the front more heat capacity and grip. instead of tuning rear traction with wide tire width, i like to do it with suspension setup and LSD tuning.
clintfocus is offline   Reply With Quote