View Single Post
Old 09-03-2014, 08:44 PM   #139 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunk View Post
I have wondered this entire time if what the alignment is doing is actually the most optimized for road racing or not. I am no road race setup expert, but I think its a conversation worth having.

Could the outside tire be cambering more than the chassis is leaning, and taking rubber off the pavement for no good reason? Perhaps "yes" with a very stiff and flat setup, and "no" with a more stock setup? Or would the answer be "no way not even close"?
I think in general the answer is that yes, the 370's suspension is more optimized for road-racing than it is for for drag-racing. Not that it doesn't need tweaking and parts upgrades for road-racing too, but even without those it's generally in the ballpark of doing the right thing. I *want* camber as the rear loads up on weight transfer, because that set of conditions (low-gear + heavy throttle -> weight transfer to rear) only tends to happen during mid-corner through to the exit, where the car is already trying to fly sideways at a full G or more before I even started laying into that throttle pedal.

It seems it would be difficult in general to simultaneously optimize a rear suspension's response for both road-racing and drag-racing.