View Single Post
Old 08-28-2014, 10:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
GaleForce
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Varis Arising II
GaleForce has a reputation beyond reputeGaleForce has a reputation beyond reputeGaleForce has a reputation beyond reputeGaleForce has a reputation beyond reputeGaleForce has a reputation beyond reputeGaleForce has a reputation beyond reputeGaleForce has a reputation beyond reputeGaleForce has a reputation beyond reputeGaleForce has a reputation beyond reputeGaleForce has a reputation beyond reputeGaleForce has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunk View Post
Generally, you always shift as late as you can due to torque multiplication. But when you have a scenario where gear A or gear B will BOTH just light up the tires anyway.... well in that case it makes no difference aside from what is easier to drive... and that will be the taller gear. If you still cant go full throttle in second anyway, then I would experiment with early shifting and seeing if you can do it without the car landing too low in the powerband in second. Otherwise, always shift as late as you can.

one thing I have noticed about my car, it doesnt like to shift while the wheels are spinning. I havent really sat down to think about that one... but I have observed that if I am in first gear banging the rev limiter from tire spin, its not going to let me into second (nasty grind) unless I let off for a moment. I assume the tires and drivetrain need to decelerate down for everything to be happy and allow the shift, just havent really thought about it yet.
I have the same issue. I try to get out of first as fast as I can with reasonable throttle input, then mash *within reason* the right pedal from 2nd, on.