View Single Post
Old 08-23-2014, 02:39 AM   #987 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z&I View Post
A->B->C->A->C->B->A->A->C->B->A, or something
Taking a factory NA car and turning it into a tuned FI machine is not a trivial task. I'm not saying it's not possible to do it reliably, but honestly when people are selling $10K kits and making it sound like it's a simple install + tune job, they're full of ****. You need a reliable shop that can do all the work from start to finish and own the project, and which has some track record of success in similar projects. The meta-problem here is the waffling between three different guys, none of whom seem to be capable of doing the job. I highly doubt that K&N filter oil on the MAFs is at the heart of this problem. That's really a relatively minor issue, and easily addressed.

In the big picture, you see so many more failures than successes in these endeavors that I wonder why anyone goes down the FI-upgrade path at times. It's always going to cost significantly more than you think it will, and it's always going to have reliability problems (well, unless you use a really badass shop that can own the process and do it right, but then it's going to cost even more). If you need a 600hp car, maybe buy one that's meant for it by the factory. Or just drop a tuned LS7 in the thing; figuring out altering mount points and making a custom driveshaft is way easier than this.