View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 10:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
m4a1mustang
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: on two wheels
m4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slynky View Post
Hatch problem (Nissan won't fix and the "coin repair");

Oil heat problems;

Paint defects;

High pitch whine / ECU noise;

Engine oil leaks (and at least one engine replaced);

Shifting problems (1-->2) and shifting/clunking noises (differential?).

(and maybe other problems I haven't even seen yet)
Hopefully no one jumps on you for this post, because there's nothing wrong with it. Your concerns are legit.

The hatch sticking and ECU whine are definitely unacceptable. Those are issues that should have been caught in testing and never made it to production.

Oil leaks... this is a touchy subject. I haven't heard of any oil leaks but it is common knowledge that engines burn oil... some more than others. You just have to be proactive and check your oil levels regularly to get an idea for how your engine behaves. Your driving habits, environmental conditions, and luck of the draw when it comes to which batch of parts are on your car are all going to contribute to how it performs. I doubt keeping up with maintenance is going to be an issue with you, but for some on this board they can't even be bothered to check oil levels let alone tire pressure!

Paint defects... I think the paint quality on this car is "average" when it comes to quality of factory paint jobs. It's not the worst but it certainly isn't the best. Unless you get an expensive paint job sprayed by a skilled painter, you are never going to have a flawless finish.

Shifting problems... this is mostly a driver issue. The 1-2 "clunk" is normal on these transmissions. One thing that lots of people don't realize is that this isn't a quick-shifting manual. The transmission doesn't like being forced into gear... you have to be easy and just resign to the fact that this ain't no Mustang TR3650 with Steeda Tri-Ax shifter. Flat-footed, super quick shifts just aren't going to happen. We had a discussion about the benefit of a short-throw shifter on this car and pretty much came to the conclusion that there really is no benefit to having the shorter throw since the transmission doesn't like those quick shifts. The only real benefit is improved feel by removing some of the slop from the rubbery factory shifter.

This is a fantastic car. Unfortunately for some of us there are some issues that really make us reconsider. The ECU whine is horrible for me and my 24 year old ears. Seems like some of the older drivers aren't picking up on that frequency. I am sure my dad wouldn't be able to hear it if I put him in the car. Makes me jealous, actually.

The hatch-stick... if you use the hatch a lot this is going to drive you crazy. Nissan really needs to issue a TSB to replace the short springs with longer ones that will lift the hatch. Hell, they don't have to install them for us... just give us the replacement springs and we'll do it on our own!
LIKE us on Facebook!
m4a1mustang is offline   Reply With Quote