View Single Post
Old 07-24-2014, 10:42 AM   #33 (permalink)
280z/300zx
Track Member

Drives: 280z, 300zx, Vette
280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute

I've been a Z owner since I was 17 and currently now 32. Still have my 280z and 300zx. Bought a 2009 sport touring 370z in 09 when they first came out. Unfortunately it was wrecked a year and a half later. Shopped other cars but instead got a 2010 NISMO. Two months ago I was itching for something new and faster. Like you I was looking to spend 60k or Less. I looked at C7's but it would have put me at 68k plus it's a first year model and don't want any issues. So instead I bought a 2012 Corvette Grand Sport with only 3k miles on it.

Let me tell you, it's loads faster than the Z and I get more compliments/looks than the Z. Like others have said the Vette is far more common place compared to the Z. I rarely see 370z's on the road like I do Vettes but for some reason people pay more attention to the Vette. Personally in the looks department I like the Z a bit more, but that's not to say I don't like the Vette.

As for performance, hands down better than the Z. Yes, the non-Z51 pkg or non-GS pkg Vettes are not as nimble as the Z is. My ex used to have a regular 06 Vette and compared to my Z on the auto-x course it was not as nimble. My GS Vette on the other hand is every bit as nimble as the Z, has better cornering at high speeds on say a fwy bend or on ramp, and is loads faster. Coming from a NISMO the Vette interior is on par or better. Basically this car is just a bridge gap until I feel comfortable enough buying a new C7. Letting them work out the bugs.

In my opinion for the money you are talking about I'd go with a lightly optioned C7 if you want to take a small risk or get a slightly used C6 Vette GS. The Z is a great option too but it's severely lacking in power compared to other cars in the 30k+ range. Yes you can mod it but modding a brand new car past doing exhaust has never been something I like doing. Other options I would recommend is the Camaro 1LE. My ex just bought one 6 months before we split and I loved that car. I almost got one myself but got lucky finding my Vette first. Any questions about the 1LE let me know, hands down better than the Z for the same money.
280z/300zx is offline   Reply With Quote