View Single Post
Old 07-18-2014, 03:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
wdkwang
Track Member

Drives: slidewayz
wdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Aftermarket tow hook vs OEM advice

So I dd and park my car in possibly the worst place in the US, in Manhattan (NYC). Anyone from around here knows people just do not give a **** if your car is worth $500 or $500,000. For that reason, I've used the OEM tow hook as a front bumper safeguard over the years. I actually have it only turned 3 half turns, which makes it secured just enough that it's not loose, so that it sticks further out, and also sitting vertically. It's worked very well as I've noticed a number of occasions where the black paint I put on it has been etched up. I've actually had a d1ckhead parked right on top of my tow hook. Another inch back and it would've made contact with my bumper. The most recent time wasn't as fortunate which involved an SUV yellow cab parked up on my bumper. Luckily I was able to buff out the damage after an hour or so.

So that brings me to the question about the hinge-type aftermarket tow hooks. I noticed that they have hex screws on the side of them. I'd like to know if they are able to be tightened so that it won't swing back when I mount it vertically. If so, that's great because the reason for me looking into them is because the head of it looks bigger than OEM so it'll provide more coverage. Also, how long are they compared to OEM?

If anyone has pictures of them next to an OEM one, that'll be great as well.
Thank you.
Powerhouse Amuse | K&N Typhoon Intakes | MotorDyne ART Pipes | Borla Catback Exhaust | B&M Short Shifter | Intake Ducts | Ichiba 25mm F/R Spacers | Carbon Fiber Interior Vinyl Wrap | Tints | 10000k HIDs | Vtak, yo!
wdkwang is offline   Reply With Quote