View Single Post
Old 07-15-2014, 10:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

What are you doing with your air intake filters now? Your hoses look like Stillen G3 or similar-style, and the filters for that would be sitting right in the path of your new nostrils. Did you leave them there to get the fresh air to them as well, or relocate them to let more through to the radiator?

As another data point: I don't have any pics, but during my last oil cooler upgrade (to a Series-9 25-row; very wide but not tall so it doesn't waste rows behind the crash bar), I attached the bottom to the radiator shroud plastic as before, then also bolted a sheet of aluminum between the top of the cooler and the back of the crashbar as an upper mount both to baffle in the airflow and to add some stability under braking so it doesn't tear at the bottom mounts. I still don't have any side-baffles. I have a trans cooler on the other side that's Series-6, and there's only about a 2 inch gap between them for direct flow to the radiator in the middle. The rest is forced through the coolers or escapes inefficiently to the sides without side baffles. Even with hardly any direct airflow to the radiator, my water temps stayed about even while my oil/trans temps dropped pretty dramatically with this setup.

I'm tempted to cut nostrils like yours (whether for intake or radiator, either would be nice), and I still haven't vented my hood yet either, but it's on the list. What I really want to do with the hood venting is place it just above/behind the front of the engine to pull directly from where the stock coolant overflow tank is at, and then re-plumb/design my cooling system such that it has a single pressurized expansion tank at the rear of the engine bay (connected to the rear water outlet and the driver-side heater inlet), leaving that front area wide open for flow out the back of the radiator and up into the hood vent.

Last edited by wstar; 07-15-2014 at 10:06 AM.
wstar is offline   Reply With Quote