View Single Post
Old 07-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #2690 (permalink)
esfourteen
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 40th TT
esfourteen has much to be proud ofesfourteen has much to be proud ofesfourteen has much to be proud ofesfourteen has much to be proud ofesfourteen has much to be proud ofesfourteen has much to be proud ofesfourteen has much to be proud ofesfourteen has much to be proud ofesfourteen has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to esfourteen

I realize this response is a bit late and off topic, but since it was posted here I wanted to follow up for anyone who runs into a similar issue. I had the exact same symptoms recently, though with more miles (23k, ~13k boosted). I suspected it was the PCV's, finally swapped mine today and sure enough the the ball inside the valve was stuck. With the new PCV's I haven't had any smoking issues at all.

Note: there were 2 other possibilities that I ruled out but should mention: 1.) Bad turbos, or turbo oil return not draining properly. 2.) Valve seals.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixlimited View Post
Quick question to my TT compatriots. My system, as below, uses the HTA2868 turbos and I have no cats and a 2.5" FI exhaust. My engine is also fairly fresh--just 5100 miles.

I am getting some fairly substantial blue smoke at times while driving the car. I assume by color and smell, that it is oil being burned. It seems to happen mostly when slowing down while in gear (i.e. while pulling a lot of vacuum) and seems to be more prevalent when the car is cold than warm, though today it happened after a quick jaunt in traffic with the car completely warmed up and very little boost. It's never happened when I start the car up, and it doesn't happen when the car idles. I also assume the amount of smoke may be a bit misleading due to the vacuum trap behind the car while it is moving causing it to build up.

I know to some extent, having no cats and such, I will get less refined exhaust gas. I have dealt with that before. However, I am concerned about the source of the oil being burnt. If it only happened when cold, I would think, maybe blowby as things warm up. But I am also curious whether I may have a bad turbo seal.

In any event, I was hoping to see whether anyone running TTs and no cats has similar experience. If not, then I may have an issue unique to my car. If so, then I may need to just consider some downstream cats and catch-cans.
esfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote