View Single Post
Old 07-02-2014, 09:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Mitco39
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 40th 370z
Mitco39 has a reputation beyond reputeMitco39 has a reputation beyond reputeMitco39 has a reputation beyond reputeMitco39 has a reputation beyond reputeMitco39 has a reputation beyond reputeMitco39 has a reputation beyond reputeMitco39 has a reputation beyond reputeMitco39 has a reputation beyond reputeMitco39 has a reputation beyond reputeMitco39 has a reputation beyond reputeMitco39 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo! View Post
That all sound spot on -- I wasn't entirely clear on whether there was a real open or closed loop like there was on narrow band O2 controlled AFR's, because, yeah, as you noted, uprev doesn't clearly indicate it. I thought since it had wide band (5 volt?) sensors it just maintained a close loop throughout, maybe forcing the ECU to trim to stoich under low load.

So is there an aggregated LTFT from the closed loop sections of the map that carries into open loop?

Also, what approximate TPS or MAF voltage switches it over? I'm guessing it corresponds to whatever point in the main AFR target map it goes richer than 14.7?

Is that much variance common on an OEM set up or is this strictly due to the plumbing differences for your set-up?

The only other thing I can think of is that one of sensors may just be reading very differently. Have you swapped the sensors to see if the bank difference moves with it?
Yes I have found that manually setting the correction tables to some very wrong values (lets say removing 30 percent to the constant throttle section) caused the STFTs to constantly sit high until the LTFTs started to take that into account and change to meet the needs of the STFTs. Needless to say you can be way way out to lunch on your correction tables and the ECU will bring it back into check, it will just take longer to do so. And I guess if you bottom out your LFTs then you will get the rich or lean bank codes from there.

It seems like anything under 14afr commanded will put the car into a closed loop situation although its really hard to pinpoint weather its load based or just afr based. With the BP kit as soon as the boost starts to come on its already in open loop and then that is where you can see how your correction tables really come into play because now the ECU is not looking to adjust these values and it just takes it as "correct".

I have looked on many other forums (including 350z and titan forums) and it seems like its a fairly common issue. I am surprised infact that more people have not noticed it. On the forums I did find people were describing the exact same situation however most of the replies were uneducated and telling the OP to check for boost leaks ect. No boost leak or exhaust leak is going to tell the ECU to inject more fuel if it is already running rich.

As far as switching the sensors on the bank, that wont fix anything because the ECU clearly sees bank 1 is running rich. I can see it through uprev. Its sitting at around 13.8-14.2, yet the ECU is trimming like it is running lean.

I have come across a post where some guys have said disconnecting their downstream 02s have helped to fix the problem. The thought is that the ECU is looking to see a certain AFR post cat, since the cats are gone its getting fooled and I would suspect that the ECU may be injecting more fuel to try and light off the cat or heat it up to bring #2 O2 into whatever reading the ECU would expect to see on it. Unfortunately we cannot see exactly what these 02s are doing. I am going to try unplugging both O2s next time I am under the car and remove the associated codes and see what that does to the tune. Some have said it will force the ECU into a open loop situation under all conditions. One way to find out.
My Build --> http://www.the370z.com/members-370z-...39s-build.html
Mitco39 is offline   Reply With Quote