View Single Post
Old 06-29-2014, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Live4Driving
Base Member

Drives: 12 Nissan 370Z PG M6
Live4Driving is on a distinguished road
Default Nismo R Tune Intake / Washer Fluid Reservoir

Short Story:
The washer fluid level sensor for the Nismo Reservoir must be oriented so the tab of the connecter is facing away from the mounting bracket flange and towards the pump, like in the picture below. If it is any other way, it will not function properly. It can be reached through the grill, without removing the bumper, if it was attached in the suggested location like the picture below

Long Story:
I have been on The370Z for a while. I usually just ask the occasional question and watch the parts for sale area for anything that peaks my interest. I thought it was about time I contributed to the group though.

I purchased the Nismo R Tune Intake about a year ago. I installed it with few problems and no cutting once I figured out where the washer fluid relocation kit went. The fluid pump does not use the same connector as the OEM, so you have to cut the harness, same with the fluid level sensor. The harness you are cutting is only a 3’ section that is attached to the main harness with another connector so should you return to stock you can either re-solder on the old connectors or purchase that 3’ section. The fitment is great and it adds noticeable intake noise to the engine. It sounds much angrier. I would buy it again if given the chance.

Once I had it installed, everything worked but the low washer fluid light came on when the reservoir was full. I double checked all of my wiring. It was right. I brought it to my speed shop. They rewired it and nothing worked...no wipers, no fluid, level light still on. I brought it back. They fixed it. Everything was working again except the washer fluid light wouldn’t go away. I looked in the forum and found a thread saying many people have this issue and that if you rotate the fluid level sensor 180 degrees the light would go away. I brought it back again and they rotated it and it still did not work. I decided to live with it. I will never use that “reputable” shop again.

windshield washer

About 6 months into owning it that darn light would turn on and off all of the time while I was driving it and I became angry. I ordered an OEM pump, level sensor, & an eBay reservoir roughly the same size as the Nismo one and planned to make it a direct plug and play with no problems. The factory pump type & level sensor type are different so I couldn’t just swap them. When I drained the Nismo Reservoir I saw the fluid level sensor. It is a buoy type, Gentech LCS-01. Mine was horizontal, so when I sped up it turned off. When I braked, it turned on. That’s why it was always flashing on and off. This also means when I rotated it 180 degrees it was still horizontal… I rotated the sensor so the buoy was vertical but it was hard to tell if it was upside down or right side up, so after about an hour of trial and error, I figured out the correct way was when the connectors tab was facing away from the mounting bracket flange and towards the pump. There is a picture of this below. If it is any other way, it will not function properly. It can be reached through the grill, without removing the bumper, if it was attached in the suggested location like the picture below. I put a dab of gasket sealer on the edge of the level sensor so it cannot rotate anymore. I returned all of the parts I ordered and am now continuing to use the Nismo Reservoir with no light.

Nismo Level Sensor
LCS-01 | Gentech

Res1.jpg

Res2.jpg

Res3.jpg

Last edited by Live4Driving; 06-29-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Live4Driving is offline   Reply With Quote