View Single Post
Old 06-16-2014, 10:28 AM   #15 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline10000 View Post
Agreed I am not too worried about roll over. I Ax and an airfield and there really no spots for me to even get the chance of rolling over.

I looked into the ASM belts but I'm not sure that's needed as well. What are the chances of me hitting something head on on the course? I would go with a 5 point be they don't work with stock seats :-(.
Well, you can extend that logic indefinitely. What are the chances of *anything* going wrong? Why even wear a helmet? It is important to reasonably protect yourself.

It's contradictory to say you'd use a 5-point if it weren't for the seats, but don't see the value in the Schroth ASM. The whole point of it is to provide the safety benefit of the 5th point, without a 5th point, for mostly-stock cars. Any collision from a frontal angle is going to benefit from having 5/6-point or ASM. You don't want your body trying to push under the lap belt (not that your body gets very far with that effort, but that allows the lap belt to ride up off your hips and into your gut, which can cause pretty severe internal injuries).

If you want to be rational about it, you could make a pseudo formula (sort of like the Drake Equation), that goes like: Value of Anti-Sub feature = Risk of major forward collision per year * value to me of having a functioning liver and/or not walking around with a colostomy bag for the rest of my life. Then compare that value to the additional cost of the ASM. I don't know about you, but for me that risk level would have to be insanely small to make it not worth it, because I put a lot of value on my hobby not crippling my internal organs.

Same sort of logic applies to multiplying out the tiny tiny chance of a rollover vs the value to you of not being paralyzed or killed one weekend. The odds may be tiny, but the loss is tremendous. It doesn't cost *that* much to stick a 4-point hoop system in a car and buy some level of protection.