Thread: wstar's Journal
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2014, 09:51 PM   #784 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, I have no idea what's wrong with your transmission, sorry! This is the only AT I've ever owned, and I know next to nothing about the internal mechanisms of one (at least, not enough to diagnose based on symptoms like that).

My trans has been fine so far, and it's been through a lot of abuse. I basically never used the normal "D" mode even when it was a street car, and at the track it's M-mode and high revs all day long. I don't *think* my trans is currently broken, just the flexplate. Worst case, could be related issues at the pilot bushing and/or torque convertor (e.g. loose bolt), but who knows at this point. I'll know more once the guys at Baker starting looking at the car.

The only non-standard things I've done with my 7AT really is up the line pressures slightly via UpRev, and switched fluid to Motul Multi-ATF. I've done a mostly-complete fluid swap on this trans twice now with the Motul. Hot track days can really destroy fluid pretty quickly, and bad fluid could lead to all kinds of problems. There's a PDF chart from GTM somewhere about trans fluid temp vs miles-to-change...

I'll probably put a stock flexplate back in mine for now, assuming that's the main thing that's broken. As long as the first one lasted, I'm sure something bigger will break before another one does.