View Single Post
Old 05-08-2014, 09:01 AM   #3469 (permalink)
MacCool
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z PW 2014
MacCool has a spectacular aura aboutMacCool has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck33079 View Post
So you've personally had issues, or did you read about it online?
Anyone here into firearms?

An individual person's experience with an individual firearm brand pretty much means nothing. One-off anecdotes, good or bad, tell nothing.

I've personally seen several of those consumer-grade, lower-tier rifles like RRA break at carbine courses over the years, so yes, I've seen the problems. They are legendary.
Some trainers won't even allow some brands in their courses because when they fail they often divert class attention or utilize instructor resources that would otherwise be spent on the other paying customers. In addition, I train with cops regularly and have friends who are firearms trainers and armorers, and one of my closest shooting buddies owns an indoor range and pro shop. And my LGS is also a close friend. They see the issues, they're common, and tend to follow a theme (RRA has recurring issue with chambers being too tight and with being overgassed, for example). Over the last 10 years, I shoot at 2, maybe 3 carbine courses with nationally-known trainers a year. I was part of the local SWAT team for over 15 years and we shot twice a month, I've been shooting regularly with the Sheriff's Department for almost 20 years. I don't train as hard as I used to now that I'm no longer on the SWAT team, but still shoot regularly as part of Bomb Squad training. When you shoot 2000 rounds in a weekend with a bunch of other guys using a variety of rifle brands, well, if a given brand has weak spots they're going to be most likely to show up when the gun is pushed hard. Average AR15 owner might shoot 500 rounds a year. Most guns, even RRA, can hack that without recurring failures.

Last edited by MacCool; 05-08-2014 at 09:07 AM.
MacCool is offline   Reply With Quote