View Single Post
Old 05-07-2014, 09:20 AM   #3453 (permalink)
MacCool
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z PW 2014
MacCool has a spectacular aura aboutMacCool has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_sedan View Post
For $500 i would suggest the Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm, add the Apex Tactical 3.5# trigger and you'll have a very reliable shooter. I have probably put 5k rounds through mine without an issue. If its a carry gun, I would leave the trigger at stock weight.

In your price range, you cant go wrong with the M&P, Glock or Springfield XD/XDM, its just preference.
I have an M&P 9L. After I put an Apex DCAEK in it to give it a reasonable trigger, and a hand-fitted Storm Lake barrel to correct its accuracy problems (earlier M&Ps were known for poor or inconsistent lock-up) it's at least a functional pistol. Clearly inferior to the PPQ, but it's functional and accurate now. It does auto-forward about 85% of the time on magazine insertion. Not really an issue, but I wish it would either do it 100% of the time, or 0%. Generally, M&Ps are fairly highly regarded these days. Reportedly their quality and consistency has improved since I bought mine several years ago, according to Louis Awerbuck at the last pistol course I took in August. My decision to try a Walther PPQ two years ago was on the advice of Larry Vickers, who is very enthusiastic about that pistol. It was great advice for me. He also advised against current 9mm Glocks (Gen 3 and Gen 4), advice which I ignored but later found to be absolutely correct.

/

Last edited by MacCool; 05-07-2014 at 09:46 AM.
MacCool is offline   Reply With Quote