View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 05:10 PM   #30 (permalink)
AP - Chris_B
Base Member

Drives: Many
AP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by imag View Post
My understanding of ABS is that it can bring each wheel to threshold (and over and back) independently, so a full four wheel ABS stop should negate bias, so long as there is enough force on the brakes to get all four wheels to the point of lockup. Am I missing something about how ABS functions?
ABS does essentially function that way, but it cannot override physics. A modern 4-channel ABS computer can REDUCE brake line pressure for any corner that is starting to lock up. It does not INCREASE pressure for the corners that still have unused grip to offer. So, yes, it offers stability (which is safer), but doesn't necessarily shorten stopping distances. A properly balanced brake system (both mechanically and thermally) is required, with ABS being an added bonus for those drivers who would benefit from it.

Quote:
I wish we had a set of reliably good drivers testing all the kits, but we just don't right now - we're the guinea pigs for this car.
Actually, guys like Steve Millen are the guinea pigs. Reputable companies do their own testing and evaluation before the customer ever hears of a newly released product -- that is, if they plan on staying around for a while. That doesn't make any company perfect or void of errors, but it would be ridiculous for companies that have been around as long as Stillen, AP Racing, etc., to risk their reputation on anything less. As far as the Nissan/Infiniti platform are concerned, no one has more experience with these cars than Stillen/AP Racing -- period.

Last week at SEMA, I walked past maybe 15 or more new brake system offerings from Asia/India/Viet Nam/wherever. None of them had the history or reputation that made me even want to stop and ask a few questions. I've seen such systems with other logos (almost anyone can have private-label brakes made these days) fail miserably at the track or in a canyon. I know of quite a few cars that have been totaled as a result. Let the buyer beware.

Quote:
One final note - StopTech may have a lot of marketing, but at least they have put some of that money into educating people about brakes. Sure, it serves their own ends, and they no doubt cast themselves in a good light, but those kinds of articles are better than nothing, *especially* with all the crap that get spouted on the net. I would rather see mostly factual whitepaper marketing than just the usual glamour shots (which I realize AP doesn't bother with either). It's hard to find good information, and I think it's actually helpful when a manufacturer talks about *why* they think they have the best product. If they say they are the best because they have more pistons or shinier colors, well at least you know where they stand. People who lay down facts, discuss weak points, and admit where compromises and value engineering have to take place are generally more trustworthy in general than people who just say their product has the majick sauce...
The boys and girls over at S-T have done a solid job in marketing their product and educating their customer -- and kudos to them for it. The bigger companies could do a better job than has been done, that's for sure! I have several ideas that I hope to get time to put in place over the winter. However, a "white paper" doesn't help me much when approaching Turn 2 at Laguna Seca a bit too hot...

Take a good look at the customer list that Josh posted up. Those guys have the budget and engineering resources to make any brake supplier shake in their boots. Each and every application is treated like a make-or-break deal for the company. Also take a look at the new Arash AF-10 that was just announced: Arash plans Veyron beater - Autocar.co.uk OK, it's a long way from a Nissan 370Z, but look at what the makers of this $535,000, 250+mph supercar turned to for brakes. Their customers are not guinea pigs.

Chris

Last edited by AP - Chris_B; 11-13-2009 at 05:16 PM.
AP - Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote