View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
370Ztune
The370Z.com Sponsor

Drives: Z34 370Z
370Ztune has a reputation beyond repute370Ztune has a reputation beyond repute370Ztune has a reputation beyond repute370Ztune has a reputation beyond repute370Ztune has a reputation beyond repute370Ztune has a reputation beyond repute370Ztune has a reputation beyond repute370Ztune has a reputation beyond repute370Ztune has a reputation beyond repute370Ztune has a reputation beyond repute370Ztune has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370Zsteve View Post
But add the weight savings of a single vs a dual, and then maybe the equation improves?

There is a ton of conflicting info on the web about this subject (single vs dual), and a ton of outright BS (one site goes so far as to say that exhaust gas does not flow backwards at all) but I've always understood that a properly designed single is no more or less efficient or powerful than a properly designed dual. It still comes down to balancing flow and velocity with the correct diameter, bends, welds and design.
The way I look at it, lot of what determines the benefits of single vs. dual comes down to the diameter of the piping and the material used. If my theory is correct, a titanium single with 3"/4" main diameter should have better results when compared to a 2.5"/2.75" stainless steel dual exhaust.

When comparing theoretical exhaust designs, there are simply too many lurking variables to really draw a good conclusion. A better question to ask, would be something along the lines of "Is the Amuse R1000 single better than the Amuse RS-Silent in terms of performance?" or "Is the Robispec exhaust better than the F.I. or Stillen ehxaust?"

Just my .02.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCZ View Post
Yeah weight savings does tip the scales a little bit in favor of the single pipe. Maybe something to look at later down the road. Although longtube headers running straight all the way back would be better in my opinion. Throw a couple of v-banded cats in the middle for daily driving and then replace them with V-banded straight pipes for the track. I think I just made a mess in my pants and I figured out what I'm eventually going to do with my exhaust...

I heard V-band and longtube..

I look forward to reading your journal updates

-Hunter
370Ztune is offline   Reply With Quote