View Single Post
Old 04-06-2014, 04:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
MacCool
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z PW 2014
MacCool has a spectacular aura aboutMacCool has a spectacular aura about

Oh come on...you're going to spend $800 -$1500 on these tires. Do some research. These things are your interface with the road. They will affect your daily driving experience vastly more than any single performance item you can buy for $1000. Compare the cost of your dealer's tire offer to online prices. Tire Rack is as good an online shop as any. Add the cost of shipping (usually about $75) and then mounting and balancing (usually $15 - $20 per tire) . You can fall for that "warranty" and "road hazard" scams, but before you do make sure you CLEARLY understand the conditions and exclusions. Ain't that good a deal. Also, make sure you understand the equipment that your tire dealer uses to mount and balance. A typical dealer's typical tire machine run by a typical dealer service tech will trash your painted Nissan rims in a heartbeat. And what kind of balancer do they use? That's a critical question for a high-performance sports car. Likewise, tire selection is important. Tire Rack has that relevant data. These high-performance tires are most definitely not all created equal. And just because the tire they sell is a Bridgestone doesn't mean anything. There's a huge difference in performance between the Potenza S-04 and the Potenza RE-050A and the Potenza RE-11. I found the Potenza S-04 to be far better than OEM at 2/3 the price, but most people agree that the Michelin Pilot Super Sports are the top of the line.

I just bought new tires from Tire Rack for my new Z to replace the OEMs. These new Potenza S-04s noticeably outperform the Potenza RE-050As that came on the car. And they were $800 for the set of four. I took them to the local Chevy dealer because they have a state-of-the-art "no touch" tire machine and a service tech that knows what he's doing (happens to be my son). Rims came back without a mark on them. $800 for the tires, $75 shipping, mounting balancing was free for me but normally costs $15 per tire. On my last Z, I got a sidewall puncture. A new RE-050A was $400 at local NTB and they trashed my rim.

Last edited by MacCool; 04-06-2014 at 05:13 AM.
MacCool is offline   Reply With Quote