View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 05:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
RCZ
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '09 370Z
RCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to RCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt5897 View Post
hey Mike I think I know one of the reasons your stockers got too hot... You were running your 18's + Aggressive pads? If that was the case couldnt the smaller diameter wheel help to shield the heat into the caliper and not allow enough airflow through the pads effectively oven baking your brakes?.... I dont know just a thought I had when I had the wheels off monday night and remembering how close your calipers were to the wheel wall.
Nah, this has nothing to do with it....I mean no offense, I know you were throwing that out there.

Also, thats a lot of Bling my friend, I just have one ugly out of focus picture to answer you with:

AP Racing 6 Pots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP - Chris_B View Post
I'm not sure where this information came from, but it is absolutely 100% incorrect. AP Racing brake kits are highly engineered and tested. Stillen, who has been designing and building brake upgrades for almost 20 years and originally brought Brembo to the North American aftermarket, works closely with the OE and racing engineers at AP in the UK. These kits are in use by customers all over the world from day-to-day street driving to hot lapping.

Tests aren't published for a variety of reasons. However, the real test is in the field. I would suggest asking several people with AP Racing brakes who use them in a variety of ways how they feel about their purchase. Anything can be photographed/filmed/posted on a web site for marketing purposes, but AP Racing and Stillen apparently don't spend as much money there as others might. Reputations are much more important in the long run anyway.

One-off stopping distance tests are almost irrelevant. The stock brakes can lock up the tires and cause the ABS to kick in. If you want shorter 60-0mph panic stops, buy stickier tires. However, let's take those OE brakes through some canyons or out to an HPDE and see how they hold up (yes, including those fancy looking Sport brakes). Brake system upgrades are there to increase heat capacity while decreasing weight. These goals are diametrically opposed, so you better make sure you are working with a company that has a LOT of experience in this area. This is why there is a certain solid and predictable "feel" with AP Racing brakes that is not found in other systems -- a result of decades of experience. Any company with machine tools can hog out calipers out of chunks of aluminum and smother them with glossy paint. So let the buyer beware.

AP Racing supplies brakes and engineering support to top race teams all over the world -- and gives nothing away in terms of sponsorship. They are just not geared that way. All teams pay for their product. No logos on the hood or Danica Patrick hocking the brand on Versus. These teams have many choices and can get lots of stuff for free, but choose to buy AP because winning is what they do. How does around $30k for your Sprint Cup ride sound (that's per car and doesn't include pads, lines or brake fluid!)? Don't even ask about Formula 1!

Stillen is trusted to maintain this reputation not by piecing kits together, but engineering total brake system solutions. This partnership has been in place since 1995 and is still strong today.

Please excuse the rant, but I've heard this once or twice before. It is always shocking to see misinformation spread around without support or justification, but if it isn't laid to rest someone might start believing it is true.

Chris
Chris are you really surprised there is wrong information on the internet?

Want to send me a BBK? I promise to use it a lot Josh wants money for it or something crazy like that... hehe

Last edited by RCZ; 11-11-2009 at 05:26 PM.
RCZ is offline   Reply With Quote