View Single Post
Old 03-19-2014, 05:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
sixpax
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2010 370Z NAG 7AT
sixpax is a glorious beacon of lightsixpax is a glorious beacon of lightsixpax is a glorious beacon of lightsixpax is a glorious beacon of lightsixpax is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstar View Post
What's really caught me by surprise is that they had been making some positive changes at the track lately, it seemed. There were some surface repairs, and they had started charging a paddock entry fee (for all cars/spectators, aside from the normal track fees) to contribute to "Capital Improvement" to fix the place up, etc. The truth is probably that the track is capable of making positive cashflow (if it isn't already), just not as much return on investment as a real estate development. Still, there's some small hope that College Station's local government and business community can be convinced that the track is worth more to the local culture and economy than a real estate development is (not to mention there's *plenty* of unused land nearby that could be developed without razing the track). Or that the owner could be convinced to name a price to sell out to someone who would be willing to preserve it.
I read somewhere while surfing around to sign the petition that there are some enviro concerns with the infield either still existing or recently corrected that took (or will take) $6 million away from money that could have been spent on other track improvements ... just speculating but I would imagine the EPA is worse to deal with than the IRS so maybe current ownership just decided you know what, screw this. Just speculating ... hope all parties concerned are able to figure something out to keep it ... not many grassroots tracks left that don't have all the big affiliations ...
sixpax is offline   Reply With Quote