View Single Post
Old 03-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
ksagis
Base Member

Drives: 370Z Roadster
ksagis is on a distinguished road

Update:

It was definitely water inside the spoiler, I pulled it off and confirmed.

Here are a couple of pictures, the holes marked in red are where I put bolts through. The holes marked in yellow are holes in the spoiler that I assume were part of manufacturing process and left. As I said in previous post, I called Spoiler Solutions (since I didn't like the holes) and they said to leave the remaining holes open so the spoiler could breathe (which I assume was associated with pressure buildup, etc when temperature changes).

You can see in the picture of the truck that I got good coverage around the bolt holes (shown in red).

I did some quick math, based on temperature variations, I'd guess that one could build up 5 psi of pressure inside the spoiler with doesn't seem inconsequential.

Here's my dilemma, Bummer had gone all the way around the gasket with silicone which would just slightly increase the volume that was sealed (spoiler and the trapped area between truck and spoiler). He also sealed bolts and "washer" area which in theory resulted in a closed system. He has reported good results which points towards a good approach, but the pressure buildup potential nags at me, particularly considering what the manufacturer told me.

At this point, I'm tending to think that I'm going to take the following approach:

1) silicone closed the three remaining holes in the spoiler (to close them and limit water intrusion),
2) Run a bead around the inside of the gasket like Bummer did
3) I'll also run a bead around the holes like Bummer did
4) I'll probably NOT silicone the "washer" area on the screws on the inside of the trunk. In theory, is there is a pressure buildup inside spoiler it could escape over the threaded area on the screws and vent into the trunk area. Of course, if I get water into the spoiler, the water could wick down into the truck area.

Maybe folks don't care about this level of detail, but I totally hate reworking something I put on and would rather get it right the first time. So, I'm posting this so others can take advantage of any lessons to be learned.

Edit: I fixed the picture of the spoiler, I had one hole marked as yellow that should have been red. I had six screws total installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trunk silicone.JPG (85.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg spoiler.JPG (156.2 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by ksagis; 03-08-2014 at 01:15 PM.
ksagis is offline   Reply With Quote