View Single Post
Old 03-06-2014, 01:08 PM   #40 (permalink)
MacCool
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z PW 2014
MacCool has a spectacular aura aboutMacCool has a spectacular aura about

My original question has been answered. Apparently it is possible to retrofit Airplay in older vehicles, although the actual mechanism for doing so hasn't been explained. Hope Nissan goes along with that. For my wife's Murano and for me, it would significantly amplify the usefulness of the Nav package on my Z that I was initially reluctant to spend the money on.

CarPlay Integration May Be Possible in Older Vehicles, Mercedes-Benz Working on Aftermarket Solution - Mac Rumors

Quote:
While it is unclear how an aftermarket solution might be implemented, information uncovered earlier this week indicates that CarPlay works in conjunction with BlackBerry's QNX car operating system. The QNX Car Platform is what powers many of the existing in-car infotainment systems installed in a wide variety of automobiles. CarPlay can be likened to Apple's AirPlay, utilizing in-car infotainment systems to mirror the iPhone's display and functionality, which indicates that it is a technology that can possibly be installed in older vehicles as well as new ones. It will be up to both individual manufacturers and Apple to decide whether aftermarket options will be available for older cars, however. Mercedes-Benz is thus far the only manufacturer that has indicated an aftermarket solution might be possible.
MacCool is offline   Reply With Quote