View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 05:44 PM   #24 (permalink)
MacCool
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z PW 2014
MacCool has a spectacular aura aboutMacCool has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
This is why this type of technology should not be proprietary and should be built around a standard interface that Google, IOS, BlackBerry, Microsoft...etc would all need to develop their software (downloadable app) to conform to.

It shouldn't be Apple or Microsoft dictating how it's done. Of course that means someone has to have the technological and monetary swagger to make them all fall behind the idea. But if I were building this, that's what I'd do. Create an open standards interface for all devices to connect to...probably have them use BlueTooth like some of you are suggesting or even a private Wi-Fi LAN for connectivity instead of Lightning or some other proprietary hardware interface.
Apple had an idea, sold it to the car companies. Android/Google/Microsoft/Blackberry could do the same. Buy the Apple app and hook up to the car. Don't have an iPhone? Buy the Android/Google/Microsoft/Blackberry app and hook up to the car. If such an app exists. If not, blame Android/Google/Microsoft/Blackberry, not Apple or Nissan.

Don't have a smart phone? Your phone mfgr hasn't been smart enough to arrange the app compatibility? Then use the standard Nav package interface. You don't lose anything by not having it, you just gain a little something extra if you do.

I really have no clue if Androids can plug into Nissan's Nav package USB port for on screen control like iOS devices can, but that iPod/ipad/iPhone interface has been an option on most or all of the car mfgrs for years.

If some Android phone mfgr came to the same companies and pitched the same kind of connectivity for Android, I'm certain that they'd all listen.

Last edited by MacCool; 03-03-2014 at 05:47 PM.
MacCool is offline   Reply With Quote