View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 04:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
MacCool
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z PW 2014
MacCool has a spectacular aura aboutMacCool has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDreamer View Post
That is probably on the car side of choices.
Honestly this just sounds like Apple has put forth a setup that if your phone gets plugged into one of these cars the car will load up an Apple specific UI and allow apps to run.
Yeh, it doesn't appear to be an all-or-none thing. If you have an iPhone 5 or greater and the right app, you can run CarPlay, but you don't have to. Otherwise, it's just Nissan's Nav package as usual. No reason car mfgrs can't allow other apps, like Android apps, to run too. Hardware might be a problem. Does the Nav package allow Android devices?

Nissan (and others) already have a iPod/iPhone interface. If I plug my iPhone into my 2014 Z or my wife's 2012 Murano, the iPod/iPhone music controls come up on the touch screen. That's old technology.

As to wireless access...apparently that's in the cards. Volvo has already announced it as imminent. Wireless charging? Not ready for prime time in the industry. My original question was whether or not this is likely to be usable on current Nissans with touch screen and iOS interface (in other words, with Nav package)

Last edited by MacCool; 03-03-2014 at 05:00 PM.
MacCool is offline   Reply With Quote