Thread: Groove
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2014, 12:31 AM   #28 (permalink)
ValidusVentus
Enthusiast Member

Drives: #18 Z34
ValidusVentus has a reputation beyond reputeValidusVentus has a reputation beyond reputeValidusVentus has a reputation beyond reputeValidusVentus has a reputation beyond reputeValidusVentus has a reputation beyond reputeValidusVentus has a reputation beyond reputeValidusVentus has a reputation beyond reputeValidusVentus has a reputation beyond reputeValidusVentus has a reputation beyond reputeValidusVentus has a reputation beyond reputeValidusVentus has a reputation beyond repute

I was also wondering the same thing.

Probably deem it unnecessary. I am not sure, it might not even help.

I think my problem is that I am actually getting the XP10s right up to their max temp range right at the contact surface (1600 F). I dont want to go with a higher bite pad though like the 12s or the 20s, just not enough modulation in it to use with street tires imho. I am afraid it could also increase my chances of confusing the sh*t out of the ABS system and causing the dreaded "Ice Mode" by drastically changing the amount of retardation () generated by the pad for a given amount of caliper pressure so far away from what the computer expects when it attempts to modulate the braking force. Even though I very very rarely find myself getting into the ABS. This may or may not be a cause. To the best of my knowledge it is not a learning unit. I don't want to get too far into this and turn this into another Ice Mode thread, we already have [at least] one of those! (As do the Porsche and Lotus forums, with a lot of good info btw)

Think I need to start taking it easy on laps where I run into traffic and only going full out on clean laps. This will also give me some more time to think and really analyze the track surface and my own performance as well. And give my equipment a break. Sounds like a good idea "on paper".

But I think I will try the groove out all the same. Just fyi the small holes in the pad material are where it is riveted to the backing plate (kinda thought they would use a "higher tech" method for this like the "special" method that EBC makes a big deal of, but /shrug.) He said that the XP10s are such a low volume seller that they are hand made. At my next track day I will try cutting a relatively shallow groove to see if it does anything useful. I have no plans to ever completely halve the pad material. If it doesn't help, in a day or two of track use, it wont be there any more anyway.

Last edited by ValidusVentus; 02-26-2014 at 02:46 AM.
ValidusVentus is offline   Reply With Quote