View Single Post
Old 02-16-2014, 05:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rangerz
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2012 370 Nismo
Rangerz has a spectacular aura aboutRangerz has a spectacular aura about
Question SPL Camber arms & New alignment specs Rear is super loose

Hello everyone,

After installing my SPL upper control arms last week I finally got the alignment done and as luck would have it yesterday I ran a winter x event at Miller Motor Sports park to test these and to test a new oil cooler.

Tires: Stock Advan Sports: New tires once these wear out.

New Alignment Specs:

Front:
Camber -2.5
Caster 5.3 More on this spec later
Toe 0

Rear -2.5
Toe 0

When I went in for the alignment the intent was to get the front to not over-steer (push) which is what I was feeling last year in auto cross especially and to a lesser extent on the track day events.

I asked for the front camber and toe above but, had asked for the stock caster setting which I think he messed up and put in the non-nismo spec. I have stock nismo rear end and had no idea he could get -2.5 from the stock adjusters. I thought i would get -1.5 to 1.8 but, I didn't clarify enough and that's what I got.

Driving impressions:

The winter x is run on the miller track but, has the apexes of most corners coned off to slow things down. Which actually adds allot more steering input.

Steering:

Steering is very touchy, the difference in steering input it night and day from the stock settings. I would say for my level to twitchy at this point.

Cornering: The front compresses into a corner and is planted feels like it is on a rail. Absolutely confidence inspiring. I really liked the feel of the front at zero toe and -2.5 camber.

Rear: As good as the front feels the rear feels the opposite. When cornering as I said above the front compresses into the corner then feels like it plants on a rail. The rear end compresses as well and plants initially but, keeps on going loosing traction. I had one big spin stayed on the track but spooked me pretty good. Definitely keeps you on your toes

Before the new alignment I always felt the rear was pretty grippy and the front was the problem. Now it is the opposite.

I think I will take the back camber back to -1.8 or so and have the caster moved to 7.0. Hopefully that will do the trick.
Stillen Gen III/ NST/ Fast Intentions Non-Res HFC & 12" Resonated CF TDX/ Setreb series 9 OC/ SPL upper control arms/ Whiteline front & rear swaybars/ Uprev tuned by Seb@specialtyZ/ 319HP 262TQ/ Z1 PS Cooler/ Z1 SS Premium break lines/ CJM Road Race pump/Carbotech F:XP10 R:XP8 Nismo OC DIY
Rangerz is offline   Reply With Quote