View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014, 07:13 PM   #23 (permalink)
VCuomo
Track Member

Drives: BMW 335i Sport
VCuomo will become famous soon enoughVCuomo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Frye View Post
I drained the factory fill at about 1250 miles and refilled with the ridiculously expensive Nissan ester oil. I ran that until 5000 miles and then switched to 05W-30 Redline. I had been running the Redline with 5K mile OCI's, and excellent Blackstone reports. I was somewhat concerned with consumption though, using around 1.25 quarts every 5K miles.
At the 35,000 mile mark I switched to Pennzoil Ultra 05W-30, mainly because it was considerably cheaper than Redline and has an excellent reputation. Interestingly enough, I have only had to add less than half a quart in 4000 miles. It may be the oil, it may be that the engine is just settling down. I will do another Blackstone analysis when I change the Ultra at 5000 miles. If comparable to the Redline I may stick with the Ultra, it runs about $55 for 6 quarts delivered on Amazon vs. $69 for 6 quarts of Redline delivered. I use the Mobil 1 # 110 filter which is slightly oversized so I put 5.5 quarts in with an oil & filter change instead of the 5.25 quarts the manual says. I think I paid almost $14 per quart for the Nissan ester oil by the time I paid the 8% sales tax, and won't make that mistake again.
You can get Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum at Pep Boys - I'm pretty sure their price is cheaper than what you'll pay Amazon.

Walmart also sells Ultra - $28 for a 5qt jug.

Last edited by VCuomo; 01-28-2014 at 07:17 PM.
VCuomo is offline   Reply With Quote