View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014, 02:28 PM   #24 (permalink)
waaaasabi
Enthusiast Member

Drives: '10 Civic (FG1) 5AT
waaaasabi has much to be proud ofwaaaasabi has much to be proud ofwaaaasabi has much to be proud ofwaaaasabi has much to be proud ofwaaaasabi has much to be proud ofwaaaasabi has much to be proud ofwaaaasabi has much to be proud ofwaaaasabi has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj View Post
Saw this brief article on Car Buzz

Are These 10 Future Classics?
I think of that list, only the F-type and the Alfa will be future classics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkei2k View Post
I don't think so because they've made so many over the years. I know it's not a lot compared to the 350Z or a Corolla, Camry etc. but in relation to let's say a

MKIV Supra (~11k from 93-98. Includes Base and TT variants)
3000GT VR-4 (~15k from 91-99)
FD RX-7 (~14k from 93-95)

I think there's around 40k total 370Z's out there somewhere so far? So we have a long way to go til we reach classic (cult) status.

EDIT - Just saw the article singles out the Nismo...so in that case, then disregard all above ^^^^. Nismo yes, will probably be classic.
I don't think it's necessarily just the numbers that makes a classic (though I think limited supply obviously helps). For example, the reason why the Supra and the RX-7 are classics are because of their unique idiosyncrasies coupled with a light/heavy haze of nostalgia. The Supra is renowned for being able to handle a ton of power right out of the box and having a very clean, handsome design. The RX-7 has a timeless design (seriously, it'll look good even 20 years from now), and a Wankel rotary engine. These two cars also arrived during the 90s Japanese sports car golden era. All things considered, the 370Z isn't really that distinctive in the larger picture.