View Single Post
Old 12-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #31 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

For some Porsche owners money's no object, sure. That's who the care is made for For many owners of e.g. the Carrera S, they can afford to daily-drive one, but they can't afford to track it regularly with all the extra bills (collision risks, general repairs, consumables, and track-oriented upgrades that even that car will eventually need at a certain level of involvement) it entails, which go *far* beyond the initial purchase cost of any car.

I guess part of my point of view now is that I've come around to the idea that there's little point in a car being any more than "sporty" on the street. Either it's a track car, or you're in it for comfort (and then it's a nice thing if it can handle ok and has some oomph in the pedal, but really who cares beyond that). Driving a Z as a track car costs in the same ballpark as driving a Carrera S as a "sporty commuter car", but the Carrera guy is having way less fun with his.