Thread: Gearing
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2013, 01:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
luigi90210
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Classified
luigi90210 has a spectacular aura aboutluigi90210 has a spectacular aura aboutluigi90210 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix 808 View Post
Thank you Rusty

l

Luigi, The question was about top speed. Will > 10% of us ever see top speed in these cars, I would venture to say doubtful. As I stated before, your car is not going to pull to readline in top gear, thus the simple math of gear ratios can not be played out in life as on paper. If you use a proper gear calculator, you will see that on paper with stock gearing it's > 200 MPH. The motor does not have enough power to over come the drag factor & carry it to redline & is unable to reach it's paper speed expectations. This is where using lower gearing can give a mechanical advantage to let the engine reach redline while also increasing top speed. Can you over gear & loose speed, absolutely, we do all the time in the 4x4 world, it is what we want when dancing in the rocks. Take for example Land Rover for decades they used anemic 4 bangers but made it work with lower gearing providing the mechanical advantage so the motor would perform the task at hand. Yes this is not a speed example, but it is a gearing example of mechanical advantage being used to overcome a lack of brute power to perform work which HP is a measurement of.

With that I think we have both wasted enough space in this thread. I am sorry if I was unable to properly explain how this works, but Rusty & I have both seen this work first hand.

To the OP I apologize for this taking over your thread. Semper Fi Brother & have a Merry Christmas everyone
i still dont understand but im going to leave it at that, i understand there is more to top speed though than just gearing, tire size, ect. i was trying to use testable examples that every 370z can test out whether its tuned, stock with gears, ect.
luigi90210 is offline   Reply With Quote