View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #17 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

From an NA 7AT perspective doing road courses:

1) Figure our 7AT torque management and how it interplays with the throttle tables and the 7AT's version of SychroRevMatch for shifting, so that we can tune up the speed and firmness of the shifts without making them jerky where they'd break traction at the rear during corner entry/exit.

2) (and this probably applies to 6MT as well?) - make it programmable for different rear end ratios and tire sizes so that SRM works correctly and the speedo reads correctly when those are non-stock. Don't really care about breaking VDC/TCS/ABLS (disabled anyways on track car), just as long as SRM + Speedo are ok.

3) Digital readout of temps on the dash: Oil, Water, and Trans. My understanding from going through the wiring/depinning mess is that the main gauge pod (the 3x big pods behind the steering wheel) is directly on the CANBUS, and then the 3 little gauges are driven indirectly by some other little protocol from that unit - so I get you may not be able to mess with the clock. Honestly, looking at the circuit board behind the little gauges, I suspect the RTC for time display is implemented right there next to the gauge.

But: I think the driver info display on the left (the little orange mono LCD screen) might be worth hacking on. If you can't control that display directly, you could at least display one temp to it I bet: it has a stock mode where it displays ambient air temp - maybe you could trick that into showing water, oil, or trans temp in its place?

In any case, I'm sure you know more about available display methods than I do. We really need all 3 temps (oil, water, 7AT trans) digitally, but if you can only display one by hacking the ambient display, maybe give an option in the editor to choose which of the three to display there. The use-case reasons for each of the 3 being important:

1) Oil Temp - seems lowest priority because we *do* have a gauge for this, but there are two reasons to hate the stock gauge: (a) It doesn't read below 140, which would be handy when warming up a car with a big oil cooler on cold days + (b) on a track car with a custom dash, that little oil temp gauge is the only reason you can't ditch the stock little-3-gauge thingy (unless you add your own separate oil temp sensor + gauge, while also leaving the stock one in place for the ECU to use...). It would just be really handy to get the ECU's oil temp data elsewhere and be able to toss out that little gauge cluster when customizing the dash in a track car.

2) Water temp - The little dots display is horrible and doesn't tell you crap, really. On the other hand, at least this one is easily readable by any OBD-II device on the industry-standard PID for it, so there are other workarounds for some people in some situations.

3) 7AT trans temp - this is critical for estimating fluid life, and precisely reading it is also critical for doing your own fluid changes. The TCM has the sensor and talks to the ECU over CAN. The factory Consult-III tool can display this temp, but AFAIK *nobody* has released anything to the aftermarket that's capable, and nobody has managed to dig up a secret PID that can be used with any normal OBD-II reader or whatever. The workaround is of course drilling and tapping the pan and running your own separate fluid temp gauge, and hoping that reads within a margin of error from the TCM's sensor placement for fluid change levels.