View Single Post
Old 11-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #34 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

There's a lot of personal preference in brake stuff, too. Different driving styles = different heat profiles, different kinds of abuse, etc. Maybe even how you interpret bedding and swap instructions and how you do your maintenance.

But just to throw another track setup opinion in here, what I ended up settling on is Carbon-Lorraine's various RC5/6 compounds, which Essex imports/sells here: Essex - CL Brakes . I've used them in two configs: stock sport calipers RC6 front RC5+ rear, and APRacing's BBK with RC6-E in all 4 corners. They're really top notch track pads, and they wear slow and they don't destroy rotors. They even stop fine cold on the street, but they will make ugly noises that street users don't like. I like the pedal feedback, modulation, and performance even better than Carbotech, and I've had zero issues with tossing out junked rotors since I switched, too, but who knows what else besides pads contributed to fixing that. They don't require a real bedding process, either, which is a big win (even if you're swapping from other pads). They just self-bed as they go and it all works out. Properly doing a quick brake system warmup during your track warmup laps is always a good thing, though, and it's always good to properly break in new rotors in terms of heat cycle on the metal. The only downside is they're pretty expensive - but IMHO with the saved grief on brake issues and the long life of the pads, it's well worth it.

As others have said, there is no magical unicorn pad that's great on both street and track, though.

Last edited by wstar; 11-25-2013 at 09:33 PM.
wstar is offline   Reply With Quote