View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #51 (permalink)
synolimit
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2013 Silver 370z
synolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunk View Post
Not everyone is very concerned with drag racing from a stop... its never been a very big deal to me. For 10 years I have been driving boosted Z's that cannot hook up until 3rd gear (even then 3rd gear is usually iffy). It never really was a big deal to me until recently its been getting on my nerves. I am personally more of a go fast for a long time person... so I have always been more concerned with nice brakes and high speed stability than I was concerned with the first 60' of a drag race. Most boosted Z's are setup similar... street cars that are setup closer to a road race car only with more power than they could realistically road race with.

The car is the problem. Its the design of the IRS. Guys with Vettes and Vipers and what not can run around with 600rwhp, on just decent sticky street tires, and still get OK traction. The Z is a whole different story. Z owners build up to that generally totally reasonable amount of power for the street like 550-600, and only find out when they get there that the Z suspension is NOT up to the task without dedicated slicks. Most Z owners just arent into that.

A 600rwhp car shouldnt need full slicks to not roast the tires at 60 or even 80mph. Not many guys are expecting that when they start building their Z. I wouldnt tell them to get slicks because of it... because that is not what they wanted to build.
Now I don't feel so bad. I've been dragging since 16 and have had many fast cars. My last WRX with a measly 335hp could run 11.7's. Hell bone stock I ran 13.3 at 101!

Now last summer I have a gutted rear 370z with a CBE and 285/35/18 HTR Z3's that couldn't break 14's at 106.5mph! Stock rear camber was -1.9 and -1.4. If the camber does change than no wonder I couldn't hook up! Its a hell of a highway drag car though