Thread: Stripes?
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #48 (permalink)
Cbtech
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 40th Anniversary
Cbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichtz View Post
Actually, since these stripes seem to be misunderstood, I will clarify. They are called LeMans stripes. More specifically, LeMans Hash stripes. These were used primarily in, you guessed it, the Le Mans race (24 hour or otherwise). The long vertical stripes were created first to allow spectators to distinguish between cars more easily. However, as time progressed and more cars started using vertical stripes, more creative stripes were created to allow spectators another degree of identification. Thus was born the Hash Stripe. Rocker panel and other stripes seen now currently came from this trend. Although now it is more about standing out for advertisers rather than quick identification.

they are not attributed to hemi or otherwise, merely adopted as such due to the racing legacy behind them. However the stripes are universal. hemi stripes = misnomer.
As every idea has a begining they are typically (over time) changed or migrated to other uses and expressions. This idea might have started with LeMans but i would challenge you to find someone on the street that would know where the original idea came from. I would bet 3-1 that most would either have no idea or would associate the stripes with Dodge/hemi.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dodge.jpg (211.9 KB, 140 views)