View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #284 (permalink)
SS_Firehawk
Premium Member

Drives: 13' Magma Red Nismo
SS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond repute

So I decided to strap Sophia down for some dyno passes this weekend. I was curious why my gas mileage is hovering around 14.5mpg, not only that, but I haven't seen the dyno graphs with meth going. For reference, a bone stock 370Z made 224whp in 4th gear. It's an awd mustang dyno. That's about a 32.5% drivetrain loss. That's w/o WCF. Mine put down 322 and 348 with WCF. Problem is, the car is running at about 11.0 AFR... Pig rich. Not only that, at about 5800 rpm, power dips a couple times like timing is being pulled. Not only that but on a couple passes, after I through it in neutral, the motor died and struggled to fire back up. I tried swapping maps and do a pass w/o meth, but my dumb @Ss didn't know I had to physically turn the meth kit off with the gauge. lastly, the clutch pedal engagement kept getting lower to the floor and sticking a bit sometimes after a few hard runs or driving around.

GTM got back with me and they need more info that I can't get yet because I'm not at home and I didn't have my laptop to log when I went (failed again). I need to get them boost pressure on the dyno, I also need to verify which map is which so I'm in the right one (I have two maps. One tuned w meth, and one w/o). Sam also said the pedal issues are indicative of the clutch pressure plate not working very well and could explain the dips in the graph. I'm still waiting for an email back on why the car is running so rich as well as why the car died. Oil temps at the start of the runs are at 200, by the end, they hovered around 220. This dyno seems to put a heavy load on the car, more than street and wind at the same speed and gear.

Now don't take this as the car is running bad. The rides I gave, everyone was surprised the numbers were so low and the results didn't reflect what they perceived the car to be doing. The power doesn't drop off like the dyno shows, it just climbs, especially after 5k rpm. The car is dancing with traction through three gears. And boy does she sing on the dyno. Car just screams. As my goodbye, I screamed through the MCcarren airport tunnel through 4th gear. It gave me a boner. I <3 tunnels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yob7V9Pff2U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSJtUz6x9g8
Will update with better video quality if I'm able to get the file...

Talking with Mike, the dyno was calibrated to think the car was 3625 lbs. When I was NA, 1/4 tank of gas and me in it, the car weighed 3300 lbs. I'm thinking the car gained 150 lbs tops with everything I did. This could be why the dyno was reading so low and maaaaybe the weird dips over 5800 rpm. From what he described, it puts a heavier load on the rollers based on weight.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Doug's Dyno.pdf (964.2 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by SS_Firehawk; 10-29-2013 at 07:35 AM.
SS_Firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote