View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
H2O_Doc
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '14 370Z, '12 4Runr
H2O_Doc is a splendid one to beholdH2O_Doc is a splendid one to beholdH2O_Doc is a splendid one to beholdH2O_Doc is a splendid one to beholdH2O_Doc is a splendid one to beholdH2O_Doc is a splendid one to beholdH2O_Doc is a splendid one to behold
Default Went from 7AT to 6MT

Just a few brief observations because the differences are often a topic of discussion or are a source of questions. Also, if anyone can confirm my impressions, please comment?

I went from a 7AT Sport to a 6MT Sport (2012 to 2014) so a reasonable basis for comparison. My impressions are that the 7AT seems like it would be quicker in a quarter mile (or would likely be for many drivers). Although I haven't tached it up yet (break in period), the 7AT seems MUCH easier to get off the line; it also shifts quickly after launch and I just think it would give up a car length or more.

Where it seems like the 6MT would shine is on a circuit or road course. The rev match is great and the ability to be in the right gear exiting a turn seems like something the 7AT can't match, even with flappy paddles (although they'd help).

If you commute in stop and go traffic, you might be happier with a 7AT, although I don't mind an MT in traffic, an especially not the 370Z 6MT.

The clutch and tightness of the gearbox on the 6MT are an absolute joy. Giggle factor clearly favors the 6MT. Having said that, the 7AT is the most enjoyable auto I have ever owned and it ISNT a less manly alternative to the 6MT; it is solid and enjoyable and reasonable minds could pick it above the 6MT.

Thanks for any thoughts,
H2O_Doc is offline   Reply With Quote