View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 06:19 PM   #77 (permalink)
370Zsteve
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 Corvette G.S.
370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwicker7 View Post
Hmm... I'll have to pay more attention, but that's not really the feeling that I get; it seems pretty seemless to me.

As someone who has driven both manuals and automatics, I think there is a little bit of "Back in my day we walked five miles to school!" style thinking when it comes to glorifying manual transmissions. Does anyone really think manuals will even be an available option twenty years from now? Five years ago I would have been in total agreement with most of you, but it seems like we are at the point where automatics are catching up to and possibly surpassing manuals.
Great post. I take the opposite tack with the lifecycle of manuals, though. In twenty years I think a stick and a clutch pedal will be an option, just as it is today. In Europe they still scoff at AT's unless it's on an F1 car, then of course it's ok.

In the US, the AT rules since the US is so auto-centric for commuting as opposed to EuroAsia which is public-transport-centric for commuting. In the US, the rush-hour traffic jam is a fact of life that begs an AT. In Europe it's like 'ok it's Saturday let's take the Carrera out for the day'.

The Manual Transmission/Clutch Shall Endure. I hereby decree it.