View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #22 (permalink)
Mitco39
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 40th 370z
Mitco39 has a reputation beyond reputeMitco39 has a reputation beyond reputeMitco39 has a reputation beyond reputeMitco39 has a reputation beyond reputeMitco39 has a reputation beyond reputeMitco39 has a reputation beyond reputeMitco39 has a reputation beyond reputeMitco39 has a reputation beyond reputeMitco39 has a reputation beyond reputeMitco39 has a reputation beyond reputeMitco39 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunk View Post
In any car, you will probably find that you should shift at the absolute highest RPM you safely can for maximum acceleration. Those of you looking at the dyno chart are not seeing the factor of gearing.

Even if the engine power at your high redline falls below the power you would land at in the next gear, the car will still accelerate faster in the lower gear.

You see.. these chassis dynos that we all use, despite what most understand, are actually measuring the *engine power* AT the wheels... not the *wheel power*. If you were to measure ACTUAL wheel power, you would see how ridiculously more power there is in lower gears then there is at higher gears... but since we are measuring engine power AT the wheels, we see little to no difference from one gear to another on the dyno minus the effects of altered engine load and driveline friction losses.

Shift as high as you can without hurting your engine and within logical reason. Do not skimp on the R's unless there is a solid mechanical or tuning related issue

You're right, technically you would take a dyno chart and multiply it by the gear ratios for every gear. If you do that you will see that in 1st gear a car that peaks at 300hp on a dyno (assuming a 5th gear pull) will actually put down 1477hp (300*4.924). So you want to ride every gear for what its got to get the best acceleration. Because the next gear your now only at a peak power of 958, and so on and so forth.

My Build --> http://www.the370z.com/members-370z-...39s-build.html
Mitco39 is offline   Reply With Quote