View Single Post
Old 08-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Jordo!
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2023 NATM
Jordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDZRVIT View Post
300F. Read the test requirements for new SM/SN API certified oils. Why do you think the Z engineers decided on the limp mode temp of ~280F and not 260, 240, 264, 228, etc? The 260F temp limit is passe and old oil technology. Newer materials technology can withstand higher temps for modern cars thus the requirement for SM/SN oils.
On a related note, to the best of my knowledge, pushing the car hard before temps approach 170-180* isn't a great idea (but if more recent data says otherwise, please correct me).

A tuner friend has told me that the ECU will pull a bit of timing as the oil temps climb over 200*F.

OP, unless you are routinely seeing temps over 240* F in normal driving, I wouldn't even worry about it.