View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 11:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
wdkwang
Track Member

Drives: slidewayz
wdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond repute
Default How tire size effects understeer/oversteer

My understanding is that tire sizes need to be in check to keep the car balanced and have neutral handling. Too much difference between the front and rear tire, and there will be increased understeer. I like to drift a lot so geometry and balance is important to me. I noticed some people run 285/35-19 to match the Nismo tire setup but I want to know how that feels at the limit and how it breaks traction. There should theoretically be more understeer with 245/285 compared to 245/275. I want to experiment a little with different setups but I don't want to regret it and have to stick with it for a year or more. I'm not interested super grippy setups like 285/315, since it'll be harder to break traction.

This article at Project Nissan 350Z Part 2 - Project Cars - Sport Compact Car Magazine explained how they created a neutral balanced 350z with stickier square tire setup, Hotchki sway bars in the middle setting, and a LSD on 30% locking setting.
Powerhouse Amuse | K&N Typhoon Intakes | MotorDyne ART Pipes | Borla Catback Exhaust | B&M Short Shifter | Intake Ducts | Ichiba 25mm F/R Spacers | Carbon Fiber Interior Vinyl Wrap | Tints | 10000k HIDs | Vtak, yo!

Last edited by wdkwang; 08-14-2013 at 03:17 AM.
wdkwang is offline   Reply With Quote