View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
wdkwang
Track Member

Drives: slidewayz
wdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat View Post
This is incorrect. The L to H textured area on the dipstick represents one quart. That textured area is 25mm long. H is supposed to represent a "full" oil fill while the textured area is considered an "OK" oil level. Lower than L- you guessed it, that's considered "low" engine oil.

Nissan considers the engine to be "OK" with 6mm or less oil consumed every 1k miles as per their oil consumption TSB for the VQ37. At 5000 miles, this would be equivalent to a 30mm drop.

That 30mm is more than what you've consumed. Your engine, based on your personal accounts, may not meet the oil consumption TSB requirements for a short block replacement.

Regardless, you need to get that oil leak diagnosed by Nissan. It makes zero sense to start spending money out of your pocket for a potentially expensive repair that is covered by your warranty.
I say about 2 quarts because the first of the two oil changes that was done, I noticed there was quite a noticeable amount less than what usually comes out. I was curious enough to take the pool of oil and pour it into each empty quart bottle that was used for the oil change and it barely filled up 3 bottles. Normally 5.5 bottles are used for an oil change.
Powerhouse Amuse | K&N Typhoon Intakes | MotorDyne ART Pipes | Borla Catback Exhaust | B&M Short Shifter | Intake Ducts | Ichiba 25mm F/R Spacers | Carbon Fiber Interior Vinyl Wrap | Tints | 10000k HIDs | Vtak, yo!
wdkwang is offline   Reply With Quote