View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #125 (permalink)
Mozen
Track Member

Drives: Nissan 370z PW M6
Mozen has a reputation beyond reputeMozen has a reputation beyond reputeMozen has a reputation beyond reputeMozen has a reputation beyond reputeMozen has a reputation beyond reputeMozen has a reputation beyond reputeMozen has a reputation beyond reputeMozen has a reputation beyond reputeMozen has a reputation beyond reputeMozen has a reputation beyond reputeMozen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainhead View Post
I'm gonna make an observation here based on what I've seen. I've never changed my Diff fluid, at 13K I'm probably not due unless I'm bored one day. My opinion is that when guys remove the magnetic plug and see the metal shavings, isn't the magnet doing it's job and keeping those particles out of the bearings and so forth? I would put forth that the diff fluid, while it may be needing to be changed due to heat/age/wear and detergents decaying over time, the metal filings on the drain plug aren't a sign of the fluid needing to be changed, but merely a sign of the diff magnet doing it's job.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting what I've read but that's the impression I get.

Honestly there would be a tolerance level (X bits o meal of X length and X width) That said i have no clue what it is on the Z. I work on Apaches for a living and its generally a huge issue for chips on something like the transmission or a gearbox....but thats an aircraft. Even with small chips tho we drain and flush the component to ensure longer life.

My personal take on this tho is that if your getting large bits of metal on your pickup then something isnt right. Drain it, flush it, and put it down as one of your scheduled maintenance items. Just my

Last edited by Mozen; 12-30-2013 at 03:39 AM.
Mozen is offline   Reply With Quote