Thread: wstar's Journal
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #600 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

I'm getting there, bit by bit. At this point I generally know what my mistakes are and what things are supposed to feel like and look like, it's just a matter of getting it done more consistently and building up the seat-time experience (and confidence in the case of some corners with scary setups) to do so.

With Driver's Edge (the group I usually run with) they do four rungroups: Green, Blue, Yellow, Red. There's a half-promotion during blue to "Blue Solo" where you run alternating sessions solo/instructor, and then Yellow starts out that way and progresses to Yellow Solo where you just run all day by yourself (although it's not uncommon to pick up a random instructor ride-along to work on stuff for a session). Passing in corners doesn't start until Red, but they give us a little more leeway on starting our straight-passes early and ending them late in Yellow. In practice it seems more like "final apex to first apex"

I've just made the transition over this summer from being a solid top car in Blue (e.g. that video with the Corvette pass above where I'm kinda owning the field) to moving into Yellow where I'm definitely down in the lower 1/3 of the field on skills and speed. I'm hoping that my car setup more-or-less stabilizes at a good point between now and the end of the year, and then I'm probably looking at another year or two of events on that relatively-stable setup to get to where I really feel like I can hang in the top-level run group and start trying to run with them. We'll see how those predictions pan out