View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #56 (permalink)
wheee!
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: cars. lots of cars.
wheee! has a reputation beyond reputewheee! has a reputation beyond reputewheee! has a reputation beyond reputewheee! has a reputation beyond reputewheee! has a reputation beyond reputewheee! has a reputation beyond reputewheee! has a reputation beyond reputewheee! has a reputation beyond reputewheee! has a reputation beyond reputewheee! has a reputation beyond reputewheee! has a reputation beyond repute

First of all, the clutch switch may look identical to the ASCD switch.

Internally, the clutch switch is two sets of 'points' that do not make contact in the resting position. When you depress the clutch, the plunger goes into the switch and allows the two sets of 'points' to contact and create the closed loop required for ignition. Basically telling the car that the clutch is fully depressed.

The ASCD switch can be configured in exactly the opposite condition. Closed when at rest and open when pressed.

THEREFORE: Tracie's issue may indeed be the switch you are looking at . The one that determines that the brake pedal is fully depressed before allowing the car to start. At rest or pedal not pressed, the switch is resting open at the top of it's travel. When she steps on the brake to start the car, it closes the switch and changes state. Sometimes the contacts are fully touching with the pedal pressed and the car starts. At other times, like my clutch issue, the contacts or points have become oxidized and are not making full contact. I would pull the switch, open it, and sand the points lightly. That's all I did to fix mine!

Again, this is me hypothezising as I have not seen Tracie's issue before either. That and no one in Canada owns an auto....

H&R / Stillen / Berk / HKS / Swift / Michelin / UpRev / SPC / Amuse Rep / Seibon / Fringe XVO / TWM / more...
My Journal
wheee! is offline   Reply With Quote