View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #521 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
I thought about that but there is a siphon on the drivers side of the tank. And since the fuel starve only happens on a right hand turn, that siphon never goes dry (which blows me away because from the pics it looks like left hand turns should fuel starve). if you tee'd into that siphon and ran a line to the passenger side and kept it low to the floor just like the hard line I'm talking about, I'd find it hard to believe the passenger side of the tank goes 100% dry with a line touching the floor. I don't know, I guess I have to pull it apart because I can't see why right hand turns are the issue, seems like lefts would be.
On the stock system the pump is in the passenger (right) side, and yes there's a simple crossover tube to the left (driver) side that tries to slowly level out the two. When you take a long hard right-hander, all the fuel goes to the left (driver) side, away from the pump, and that little crossover balancing tube really can't do anything about that. It will slowly level the two sides when there's no significant side load on the car, but it can't go against the g-force (or supply enough fuel to keep the pump running regardless).

Even after having seen it up close and installed it (twice!), I still don't fully understand Phunk's system, but it's complicated and it seems to work in all conditions, so I don't care how it works as long as it works

It puts a surge can and secondary pump in the driver's side, and runs 3 hoses back and forth between that and the factory pump on the passenger's side, and also involves some modifications to the internal hoses on the factory pump module (which also has a very small reservoir area). Others have backyard-engineered other systems with other tradeoffs (including pumps with pickups in the all the corners of the tank, cutting the tank in half so there's nowhere to hide the fuel from the pump at, etc. I'm sure you can make something else work cheaply if you want, but there's always tradeoffs...

Last edited by wstar; 07-01-2013 at 10:20 AM.
wstar is offline   Reply With Quote