View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
wheee!
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: cars. lots of cars.
wheee! has a reputation beyond reputewheee! has a reputation beyond reputewheee! has a reputation beyond reputewheee! has a reputation beyond reputewheee! has a reputation beyond reputewheee! has a reputation beyond reputewheee! has a reputation beyond reputewheee! has a reputation beyond reputewheee! has a reputation beyond reputewheee! has a reputation beyond reputewheee! has a reputation beyond repute
Smile DIY: Install Fringe XVO Afterburner Tips for HKS Exhaust System

The Fringe XVO Afterburner tips are designed to replace the stock Ti tips on the 370Z HKS exhaust system. The full development story of the Fringe XVO tips is here:
http://www.the370z.com/exhaust-intake/41572-new-fringe-xvo-afterburner-exhaust-tips.html

This thread is the DIY for replacing your HKS tips with the Fringe XVO's!

Step 1: Order a set of tips from Fringe!

This is a pic of the two tips side by side

Step 2: Make sure you have the necessary tools and supplies for the removal of the old tips and install of the new Fringe Afterburners. You will need a 10mm wrench and a 4mm allen head wrench. I recommend the small ratcheting tools that allow you to work inside the exhaust tip easily.

Step 3: Remove the stainless steel bolt and lockwasher from the inside of the Fringe Afterburner tips. These will be mounted during shipping.

Step 4: Using the 10mm wrench and the ratcheting 4mm hex, remove the two bolts and washers holding each Ti HKS tip onto the exhaust outlet. Slide the Ti tip off the exhaust and place it onto a safe surface to prevent it scratching. Clean the outside of the exhaust outlet and ensure that the outlet is round and free of irregularities. A misshapen outlet can cause the Fringe tip to encounter difficulties sliding into place due to the tight manufacturing tolerances.

Step 5: CAREFULLY slide the new Fringe Afterburner tip onto the exhaust outlet and ensure you slide it backwards evenly, watching to see that the mounting hardware lines up correctly with the slots in the exhaust outlet.

Step 6: Slide the tip back so that the inner tube is now flush with the exhaust outlet. Add one drop of loctite MEDIUM (blue) to the mounting bolts and thread them into the inside mounting weld nuts. Tighten the bolts firmly but not too much. The loctite will keep them from backing off.

Step 7: Repeat this same procedure for the other tip. Stand back and admire your work!

This is a shot of the original HKS and the new Fringe Afterburner

This how they look from above the bumper

These are some extra angles for your viewing pleasure!

and this last one shows the furthest offset from the car possible... about 1/2 an inch further out than when mounted flush to the exhaust pipe outlet.

The total install time was less than an hour from start to finish. I took my time and was careful not to scratch the components during install or removal. I also added a light coat of wax to the new Fringe XVO Afterburners to keep them nice and shiny!

I hope you enjoy these one of a kind unique tips! Order yours in whatever colour combo you like from Fringe XVO!

H&R / Stillen / Berk / HKS / Swift / Michelin / UpRev / SPC / Amuse Rep / Seibon / Fringe XVO / TWM / more...
My Journal

Last edited by wheee!; 06-28-2013 at 04:45 PM.
wheee! is offline   Reply With Quote