View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cbtech
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 40th Anniversary
Cbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud of
Default DIY: Automatic VDC off @ your own risk!

Hello all,

I personally don't like having my VDC on when driving in dry conditions since it can sometimes impede performance and the joy of driving our car. I was looking for an option to just have VDC always off unless I chose to keep it on. I located a module that is developed by KP Technologies that remembers your choice of VDC on or OFF everytime you turn on. I installed this the other day and it works really well! I have put together a DIY on the install. The difficulty is a 4 out of 10 as the hardest part is reaching behind the dash to disconnect the switch. This will take around 30-45 minutes from start to finish.

***WARNING***
THE INSTALLATION OF THIS MODULE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. NEITHER I OR THE MANUFACTURE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR IRRESPONSIBLE DRIVING CAUSED BY YOU HAVING VDC OFF.

Moving on...

I tapped into my (useless) cigarette lighter under the dash and took the 2 screws out to expose the plug

The yellow wire is + and the black is -. I chose to use some leftover speaker wire since its simple. The wire block behind lighter has enough room that you are able to stuff the wires in and tape them. (if you can avoid splicing do it) Run your wire through the back of the dash to the drivers side. I used a metal hanger to push the wire through.

Now its time to pull the dash apart. Remove one screw under the the hoop pop. (whatever its called)

Now remove the panel below the steering wheel

Here comes the difficult part.

Once the dash is out you only need to take the one wire block out to get access to the VDC wire block that will give you plenty of room to get your arm in there. Even though it looks like it the VDC button cannot be pried out (like the start button.)

There is NOT a lot of room to take off the wire block from behind the dash and those with fat fingers, beware, this will frustrate you. I had to use my phone front facing camera and flashlight to figure out how to take this out. All you need to do is press with your nail, push up, and pull

Yellow = 12V switched file - connect the this to the positive yellow wire from the cigarette lighter
Black = Ground - connect the this to the negative black wire from the cigarette lighter
Orange = Switch in/out
Green = Aux

Once you have the VDC wire block out you will see 4 wires. in this case the light green wire is your VDC switch wire that we will connect to. Again the block has enough room to stuff the orange wire in without splicing. plug it in and tape it off so it doesn't fall out

Install the wireblock back in the same order. You will have to press hard as it was tough to get mine to snap back in.

I used a wire tie sticker on the back of the module and mounted it to the medal brace under the dash

Everything goes back in the reverse order.

Do a standard test by turning on the car, pressing the VDC button, turn the car off, then on again. After your gauges go through all your motions your VDC OFF should come on as shown below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqLShxPvmws
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130612_154852.jpg (205.7 KB, 764 views)
File Type: jpg 20130612_160529.jpg (172.2 KB, 758 views)
File Type: jpg 20130612_160913.jpg (162.0 KB, 759 views)
File Type: jpg sstp_1009_16_o+2009_nissan_370z+steering_wheel.jpg (98.5 KB, 760 views)
File Type: jpg 20130612_162811.jpg (142.0 KB, 735 views)
File Type: jpg 20130612_163054.jpg (130.1 KB, 754 views)
File Type: jpg 20130612_164031.jpg (127.9 KB, 747 views)
File Type: jpg 20130612_171742.jpg (238.1 KB, 746 views)
File Type: jpg 20130612_180253.jpg (196.7 KB, 745 views)