View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #4468 (permalink)
forza370z
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2009 NISMO 370Z
forza370z is a splendid one to beholdforza370z is a splendid one to beholdforza370z is a splendid one to beholdforza370z is a splendid one to beholdforza370z is a splendid one to beholdforza370z is a splendid one to beholdforza370z is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischhorn View Post
Gym wont help you. A leather strap wrench will!!
Haha true that. But I used a rubber strap wrench and it just kept slipping. Next time I will use a big boy pipe wrench instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2010z View Post
If you are trying to remove it without damaging it good luck. When I removed mine it came off in multiple pieces.
I agree... At this moment, I'd say I don't care to destroy the oem shift knob or not. I already got a lightly used oem shift knob as a spare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhenderson View Post
1) accept that you are going to destroy your shift knob in the process of taking it off the car. I've done it twice - on my current car the knob actually ripped in half all the way through the aluminum threading.

2). Assemble the following: two pipe wrenches, a towel, wire brush, and a friend.

3). Attach wrench #1 to shift knob. Wrap towel around shifter (shaft) and attach wrench #2. Have your friend hold wrench #2 steady so you don't torque the gearbox and go to town on the shift knob. It'll come off. Use wire brush to clean threading on shaft.

Nissan uses a ridiculous amount of loctite on the OEM shift knob for reasons I will never understand - especially considering they sell aftermarket shift knobs.

Hth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the tips! Yup I will use a pipe wrench instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexwallace23 View Post
I guess the Nissan worker that put my shift knob on had a lazy day and didnt put it on the way it was supposed to... My shift knob came off without a struggle and intact.
Hmmm, lucky you or maybe your previous owner already did the dirty job for you if yours is a used?

On another note, I got a Nismo chrome shift knob. How's the fitment? Is it hard to align the words towards the rear?